It’s just over 4 months since my very first home brew, and here I am removing my newly home made Special B/Caraaroma equivalent from the oven. I’m still not quite sure how this hobby accelerated from a kit and kilo to roasting my own crystal malt in such a short time. But here I am, with the entire house smelling of roasted raisins (who knew barley could have so many different aromas based on how you roast it), and I figured it’s time to start recording my forays into the world of home brewing.
Anyway, I’m pretty pleased with how this turned out. I only have CaraAroma to compare it against, so this will have to do.
The CaraAroma smells a tiny bit stronger, and perhaps just a tiny amount fruitier. Colour wise I think I nailed it. I soaked the 1kg of pale malt for 24 hours. Placed in a dish and put into the over at 70°C. After an hour the malt had only risen to 50°C, so I transferred it to a larger flat tray at which point I could spread the malt out to only about 2cm thick. It heated up much quicker and was at 60°C within 10 minutes, after half an hour in the tray I upped the oven to 160°C and kept it there for 90 minutes (stirring the malt every 15 minutes to stop it sticking to the tray as it dried). After an hour at 160°C, the amount of steam escaping the oven when I opened to door rapidly lessened to negligible, and the colour of the malt darkened steadily from that point onwards.